Provides comprehensive law enforcement services to all people involved in school based activities both on and off campus through effective enforcement of laws and statutes relating to public safety and welfare. Promotes a safe learning environment for students, staff and parents by embodying a positive role model and mentoring growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforces all Federal, State, and local laws to ensure safety and maintain order.
- Identifies potential problems, responds to various criminal activity and conducts investigations dealing with school related incidents.
- Serves as a role model, counselor, mentor and instructor while building a rapport with the students, staff and community to promote a positive and safe learning environment.
- Instructs and conveys a variety of information, resources and referrals.
- Gathers, evaluates, corroborates, analyzes and disseminates criminal intelligence in cooperation with appropriate law enforcement agencies.
- Coordinates with school officials to implement effective emergency response plans while utilizing the most advanced techniques to ensure a positive outcome with school related incidents.
- Recognizes and distinguishes the proper plan of action to facilitate the most positive outcome for all parties involved in school settings.
- Organizes, schedules, and plans law enforcement services for extracurricular events on and off school campuses.
- Works overtime as necessary, including overtime in other duty areas, as well as the detention center.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent, with 2 years of law enforcement experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License;
- Class I Law Enforcement Certification from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy; and
- School Resource Officer Certification from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (have or ability to achieve within 1 year of hire).
Qualifications for School Resource Officer:
Must be 21 years old, or within 3 months of turning 21 years old to apply.
Must be a United States citizen.
Must be a South Carolina resident, or will move to SC upon hire.
Certified Class 1-LE from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements
- Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects.
- Positions in this class typically require, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, fingering ,standing, walking, repetitive motions, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, climbing, balancing, pushing, pulling, and lifting. Positions in this class may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, and intense noises.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Lexington County Sheriff’s Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.