Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Public Information Coordinator ensures web pages/content and social media posts are strategically planned, created, executed and evaluated for effectiveness and agency brand compliance. The position requires occasional on-call availability to serve as the agency’s back-up media contact in the absence or at the direction of the Public Information Officer.
The Public Information Coordinator will have a primary focus on the development, planning and creation of compelling content for the agency’s online audience and should be able to perform any of the following essential duties:
- Collaborate with the PIO and Digital Communications Coordinator to prepare, implement and maintain a social media content calendar that supports the agency’s brand and public information program.
- Oversee and manage the agency’s presence and communities on seven social media platforms including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Next Door, LinkedIn and TikTok.
- Maintain an awareness of social media trends, new platforms and industry best practices.
- Assist in the gathering of agency news, including project research, conducting interviews, compiling relevant information, writing news releases, taking photographs and producing multimedia content.
- In coordination with the PIO and Digital Communication Coordinator, provide consultation and guidance to agency units and divisions in planning and creating new digital, web and social media content, as well as maintaining and updating existing content and communications, as needed.
- Manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Travel to and cover certain agency and community events, and respond to certain Sheriff’s Department scenes.
- Handle highly confidential and sensitive information with discretion and confidentiality.
- Able to work outside typical business hours, as needed, to assist journalists in meeting deadlines and/or supporting the Sheriff’s Department at events, critical incidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the PIO, Sheriff or other members of the Sheriff’s executive staff.
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- Current web standards, technology, and copyright laws;
- Current broadcasting standards, technology and copyright laws;
- Journalistic principles, and communication best practices and techniques;
- Grammar, composition and Associated Press newswriting style;
- Office equipment operation.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud (with emphasis on Premiere Pro, Audition, AfterEffects, InDesign and PhotoShop), and a content management service/software;
- Written and verbal communication via in-person, phone and email contact;
- Digital and video camera operations;
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 3 years of related work experience, preferably producing multimedia content for a government agency or brand. Preference for a Bachelor’s degree in an area of study related to communication (i.e. print/broadcast journalism, mass communication, public relations, digital media, or graphic design).
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
- 3 or more years experience in drafting and disseminating public information resources (i.e. news releases, media advisories and fact sheets) and/or content to websites and social media platforms on tight deadlines and/or during critical incidents
- 3 or more years experience writing comprehensive strategic communication plans
- 3 or more years experience in crisis communication planning, management and response
- 3 or more years experience as a spokesperson and knowledge of the principles of spokesperson training/preparation
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Positions in this class typically require fingering, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions.