Provides a safe environment for all visitors, staff, and others at the Lexington County Judicial Center. Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides security during court proceedings. Monitors all persons for signs of potential disruptive behavior. Monitors and maintains control of inmates during all phases of court proceedings. Maintains position between the judge and litigants.
- Responds to and obeys any orders given by the presiding judge such as searching for and bringing before the court any missing jurors, taking individuals into custody, etc.
- Maintains the security and integrity of the court house. Conducts building inspections to ensure ongoing facility security by physically testing all security entrances and alarms for proper operation. Monitors the parking areas and court house grounds for any suspicious activity and/or suspicious items.
- Monitors the court entrance/exit and conducts screenings of incoming individuals, packages, and personal items using x-ray scanners, metal detectors, visual detection, and other approved security practices. Detects and confiscates all weapons, contraband, and/or suspicious items.
- Detains or arrests individuals as provided by South Carolina Law and processes accordingly.
- Interacts with court house visitors, and directs individuals to the proper area. Responds to public/staff inquiries, and requests for assistance. Investigates and resolves complaints from the public and staff. Provides personal security escorts to and from vehicles, upon request.
- Monitors and controls inmates who are receiving treatment at a medical facility. Maintains constant surveillance of inmate. Maintains alertness during long periods of inactivity. Enforces the detention policies and procedures as it relates to inmate visitation. Briefs replacement at shift change on the inmate/patient status.
- Transports inmates from detention center to/from court house.
- Provides staff escorts with daily bank deposits to and from financial institutions.
- Serves criminal warrants, civil process papers, and other court documents.
- Picks up and delivers interoffice mail between the Sheriff’s Department Headquarters and the Judicial Center.
- Provides security for private organizational meetings conducted at the Judicial Center during non-business hours.
- Works overtime as necessary, including overtime in other duty areas, as well as the detention center.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
Licensing and Certifications:
- Class I Law Enforcement certification from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (have it or ability to achieve it within 1 year of hire date); and
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
Qualification for Deputy (Patrol)
Must be 21 years old, or within 3 months of turning 21 years old to apply.
Must be a United States citizen.
Must be a South Carolina resident, or will move to SC upon hire.
Must have one (1) of the following:
- Certified Class 1-LE from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, or
- Certified law enforcement from another state, or
- Military Police experience, or
- 3 years or more military experience in any job duty, or
- Associates degree or higher.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements
- Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects.
- Positions in this class typically require, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, fingering, standing, walking, repetitive motions, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, climbing, balancing, pushing, pulling, and lifting. Positions in this class may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, and intense noises.